BOT stands for Bachelor of Occupational Therapy. It is a job oriented undergraduate course. BOT medical course is based on the field of Occupational Therapy. The course duration is 4½ years and on completion, leads to a Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy.
1. Occupational Therapy deals with patients having physical, mental, emotional and neurological limitations. It aims at improving the life, condition and rehabilitation of such handicapped and limited people through different modes of treatments such as- exercises, functional training, aiding devices and equipment, ergonomic training and environmental restructuring & adaptation.
2. The reason behind the handicap/limitation/condition of the patient could be any of the following- accident, stroke, cardiac disease, paralysis, depression, autism etc. It is the task of the Occupational Therapist to analyze the condition, evaluate possibilities, create treatment plan and provide the best available treatment and support to the patient. In short, it is similar to rehabilitation of a patient.
3. Bachelor of Occupational Therapy trains students and helps them become skilled professional occupational therapists, capable of undertaking independent/supervised practice. Key skills drilled into students during BOT course are- observation, clinical reasoning, treatment planning and implementation of the plan.
BOT is an undergraduate course. The course lasts for a period of 4½ years. Academic program is 4 years long. 6 months are dedicated towards internship.
Science stream Biology Group (PCB subjects) students, who have passed 12th Science board examination from a recognized board are eligible to pursue this course. Candidate must also have scored a minimum score of 50% marks in PCB subjects (most institutes do have minimum marks criteria).
Admission to the D Y Patil School of Occupational Therapy usually takes place through the central admission office of the University. It is based on merit marks. Marks scored by a student in State/all India level entrance test and 12th Science board examination are taken into consideration. Based on these marks, a merit list is made. Seats will be allotted to deserving students based on the merit list.
What subjects do we need to study?
To get a better idea about the course structure and syllabus, let us take a look at some of the important subjects present in the program. BOT program is divided into 4 academic years. We will check out important subjects present in each academic year-
1st year subjects-
1) Human Anatomy
4) Introduction to Occupational Therapy I and II
2nd year subjects-
1) Ergotherapeutics I and II
3rd year subjects-
1) OT in Medical Conditions
2) OT in Surgical Conditions
4th year subjects-
1) Orthopaedic Conditions
2) Neurological Conditions
3) Psychiatric Conditions
4) Community Based Rehabilitation
5) Advances in Occupational Therapy
Many of the above mentioned subjects also consists of clinical as well as practical sessions.
Pursuing a PG course will definitely add more value to one’s skill set! It helps one become more employable. One of the major advantages of pursuing PG course is that it helps one specialize in a particular discipline within the field of Occupational therapy. The most popular PG course among graduates is MOT. It stands for Master of Occupational Therapy. It is a 2 years long PG course. MOT course could be used to specialize in the following disciplines-
2) Rehabilitation Science
6) Disability Management
Other than MOT, another good PG course available in front of graduates is M.Sc. There exists many Government and Private institutes offering M.Sc. Occupational Therapy course. M.Sc. course can also be used to specialize in the above mentioned disciplines.
Apart from the above mentioned Degree programs, there also exists valuable PG Diploma as well as PG Certificate Occupational Therapy courses in India and abroad.
If you want to acquire management skills after graduation, MBA course will help you out! It is a 2 year long PG course and will help one take on administrative jobs after completing it.
Many possibilities and job opportunities exist when it comes to the field of Occupational Therapy. After graduation and getting practice license, one may start working at Government or Private hospitals/clinics/community health centres.
Teaching jobs are also available in front of graduates. BOT graduates may work as instructors at OT colleges/training institutes. For building a rewarding teaching career, pursuing a PG course is recommended. After completing PG course, one may work as a Lecturer at Government or Private OT Colleges/institutes.
Job profiles available in front of BOT graduates are-
1) Occupational Therapist
2) Rehabilitation Specialist
3) OT Consultant
4) OT Nurse
6) Social Worker
7) Marketer (supporting equipment/devices)
Places/areas where graduates may find job are-
1) Government Hospitals
2) Private Hospitals
3) Mental Hospitals
4) De-Addiction centres
5) Rehabilitation Clinics
6) Nursing homes
8) International Welfare Bodies
9) OT Colleges/Training Institutes
10) Special Schools
11) Supporting equipment/devices manufacturing companies