“Ego is death of life, death of ego is real life. If you follow this principle in life you are bound to succeed” – Dr. DY Patil.
Dr. DY Patil is a well known Educationist and Philanthropist from an agricultural town Kolhapur in the state of Maharashtra. He strongly believed that youth in India needed a greater platform that offers multiple opportunities to educate themselves across geography. He envisioned a goal of spreading education across the length and breadth of India by taking steps in a direction to craft each and every institute. He founded the first engineering college called Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology in Navi Mumbai offering bachelors a degree in engineering in the year 1983. There was no turning back from there and today Dr. DY Patil has founded more than three deemed universities with more than 150 independent institutions in India.
Another area that India needed leadership and investment was healthcare, where Dr. Patil believed every Indian should be able to get basic healthcare facilities free of charge in order to sustain a standard livelihood. In the last 35 years, Dr. D Y Patil has been successful in creating multiple healthcare facilities catering to the lower-income group and hosting several charitable health & education schemes for the general population.
Dr. DY Patil was appointed as the Governor of Tripura, Governor of Bihar, and Governor of West Bengal in the last three years where his role has been instrumental in spreading the vision of education, healthcare, and sports.
Following are the list of awards and honors that are bestowed upon him:
· Government of India conferred the prestigious “Padmashree” award in recognition of his work in the field of education in 1991.
· Arizona University, United States awarded an honorary doctorate degree in 1988.
· The Nottingham Trent University Kingdom awarded an honorary doctorate degree in
appreciation of his contribution to the cause of education in 1996.
· Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubhaneswar awarded D. Litt. (Honoris
Causa) in 2012.
· Awarded the ‘Man of the Year 2005’ by the American Biographical Institute, U.S.A.
· “Samajshree” title and Manapatra (Certificate of Honour) awarded by Kolhapur
Municipal Corporation in the year 2000
· Honoured by ‘Cultural Doctorate in Philosophy of Education’ of World University Roundtable, Arizona, U.S.A
'Education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think.' - Albert Einstein