Bioinformatics is a scientific discipline that deals with the retrieval, storage, processing, analysis, and management of biological information through computational techniques. It uses mathematics, biology, and information technology to understand the biological importance of an extensive variety of data. Bioinformatics technologies are used in various pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors. It is majorly used in the medical sector, driven by the increasing use of bioinformatics for the drug discovery and development process. The global bioinformatics market was valued at $2.9 billion in 2012 and is poised to reach $7.5 billion by 2017 at a CAGR of 20.9%. The growth of the bioinformatics market is driven by decrease in cost of DNA sequencing, increasing government initiatives and funding, and growing use of bioinformatics in drug discovery and biomarkers development processes.
The Bioinformatics course provides student with a broad and flexible education in understanding life science and how computers can help in understanding the information/ data in a well structured manner. It exposes the students to various biological instrumentation techniques, Molecular Biology techniques, specialized techniques to interpret and analyze biological data and research, Programming and Database Management, Algorithm Development and Data analysis and Artificial Intelligence.
Eligibility for appearing at AIET – 2016
• The Candidate must be either 17 years of age or attain the age at the time of admission. Candidate must have passed HSC (10+2) or equivalent examination from a recognized Board, securing minimum 50% marks in the aggregate of all subjects. English as a subject is compulsory.
• Candidates with Mathematics will be considered eligible for B. Tech Biotechnology / Bioinformatics/ Biomedical Engineering / Food Science and Technology and M. Tech Integrated programs.
• Candidates with Biology will be considered eligible for B. Tech Biotechnology / Bioinformatics/ Food Science and Technology and M. Tech Integrated programs.
• The Scheduled caste, Scheduled tribe and OBC students shall have relaxation of 10% in the aggregate marks required for eligibility.
July 2017 – June 2018
1. S.S.C / Equivalent Examination mark statement & Certificate.
2. H.S.C. / Equivalent Examination mark statement & Certificate.
3. AIET B. Tech 2016 mark statement.
4. Bonafide and character certificate from the Head of Institution last attended
5. Leaving and / or Transfer Certificate from the Institute last attended.
6. Nationality Certificate
7. Domicile Certificate, If available
8. Residence Proof
9. Backward Class / Caste Certificate duly verified by the Competent Authority
10. Passport in case of Foreign Nationals / Wards of Persons of Indian Origin /Wards of Non Resident Indians
11. Physical Fitness certificate from a registered Medical Practitioner.
12.Income / Salary certificate of parents.
Semester – I
• Computer Fundamentals, Programming and Networking
• Applied Chemistry
• Statistical Methods for Bioinformatics
• Applied Physics
• Molecular Biology I
• Professional English and Communication
Semester – II
• Engineering Drawing
• Engineering Mechanics
• Mathematical Methods for Bioinformatics
• Introduction to Bioinformatics
• Cell Biology
Semester – III
• Programming in C
• Medicinal Chemistry I
• Algorithms and Graph Theory
• Immune system and Computational Immunology
• Molecular Biology II
Semester – IV
• Web Technologies
• Medicinal Chemistry II
• Database Management System
• Analytical Techniques
Semester – V
• Perl for Bioinformatics
• Machine Learning Algorithms in Bioinformatics
• Structural Bioinformatics
• Recombinant DNA Technology
• Clinical Biochemistry
Semester – IV
• Java BioJava
• Artificial Intelligence
• Systems Biology
• Molecular Modelling Principles and Techniques
• Clinical Data Management and Pharmacovigilance
• Cancer Genomics
Semester – VII
• Matlab in Bioinformatics
• Computer Aided drug Designing
• Embedded systems in Life Sciences
• Digital Image processing
• Computational Genomics
• IPR and Industrial Psychology
II, III, IV Year