M. Sc. Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is a scientific discipline that deals with the retrieval, storage, processing, analysis, and management of biological information through computational techniques. It uses mathematics, biology, and information technology to understand the biological importance of an extensive variety of data. Bioinformatics technologies are used in various pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors. It is majorly used in the medical sector, driven by the increasing use of bioinformatics for the drug discovery and development process. The global bioinformatics market was valued at $2.9 billion in 2012 and is poised to reach $7.5 billion by 2017 at a CAGR of 20.9%. The growth of the bioinformatics market is driven by decrease in cost of DNA sequencing, increasing government initiatives and funding, and growing use of bioinformatics in drug discovery and biomarkers development processes.
The Bioinformatics course provides student with a broad and flexible education in understanding life science and how computers can help in understanding the information/ data in a well structured manner. It exposes the students to various biological instrumentation techniques, Molecular Biology techniques, specialized techniques to interpret and analyze biological data and research, Programming and Database Management, Algorithm Development and Data analysis and Artificial Intelligence.
Eligibility for appearing at AIET – 2016
A graduate student having completed three years Science degree course in Biotechnology /Bioinformatics/ Life sciences / Zoology / Botany / Chemistry / Microbiology / Applied Biology / Biochemistry / Genetics with minimum 50% marks.
July 2017 – June 2018
1. Graduation / Equivalent Examination mark statement and Certificate.
2. Post Graduation / Equivalent Examination mark statement and Certificate, if applicable.
3. AIET M.Tech 2016 mark statement
4. Bonafide and character certificate from the Head of the Institution last attended .
5. Leaving and / or Transfer Certificate from the Institute last attended. 6. Nationality Certificate
7. Domicile Certificate, If available
8. Residence Proof
9. Backward Class / Caste Certificate if applicable, duly verified by the Competent Authority
10. Passport (in case of Foreign Nationals / Wards of Indian Origin / Wards of Non Resident Indians)
11. Physical Fitness Certificate from a Registered Medical Practitioner.
12. Income / Salary certificate of parents
Semester – I
• Basic Concepts in Bioinformatics
• Programming in C and Data Structures
• Molecular Biology
• Mathematical Methods for Bioinformatics
Semester – II
• Biological Database Analysis
• Statistical Methods for Bioinformatics
• Genetic Information Flow Processing
• Visual Basics
• Genomics and Comparative Genomics
Semester – III
• Perl Bioperl
• Metabolic Pathway Engineering
• Computer Aided Drug Design
• Biodiversity and Ecological Information