Role of Occupational Therapy Intervention in COVID-19
COVID-19 has affected our:
* Daily routine
* Work Life
* Financial plans
* Future plans
Most of us have concerns regarding:
* Daily needs
* Job and salary
* Health of self, family and friends
* Lack of domestic and social help
* Coping with sudden changes
We also have concerns like:
* I don’t know when all this is going to end
* How long will I escapebthe infection
* Will I survive?
* How will life be after this lockdown period?
* Will I be able to resume normal life after all this?
All these concerns might lead to:
* Familiar discord
* Sleep wake cycle disruption
* Lack of physical activity
* Overburdened household routine
* Excessive screen time
* Pain, lethargy
Why Occupational Therapy services for management of COVID -19?
1) Occupational Therapists specifically deal with remedial, restorative treatments and rehabilitation of persons with physical, cognitive, psychosocial and developmental impairments.
2) As a profession, we recognize the consequences and changes that are occuring in how people access and undertake their occupations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic (WFOT)
3) These include: accessing resources, Activities of Daily Living, communication, mobility, social isolation, displacement, issues with mental health and well being.
4) Occupational therapists understand the vital need to access and use infection control measures combined with the need to sustain good physical, psychological, mental health and stamina in order to stay safe and healthy
What role do Occupational Therapists play in COVID-19 intervention?
1) Counselling in:
* Coping skills
* Stress management
* Relaxation techniques
* Positive thinking
3) Promote physical health in daily routine
4) Awareness on myths and prevention
5) Specific interventions:
* Positioning for maximizing respiratory function
* Bed mobility
* Pulmonary rehab
* Early mobilization
* Communication management to increase social participation
* Cognition training and reorientation
* Sensory stimulation
* Energy conservation
* Mental wellness (decreasing anxiety and depression symptoms)