Fellowship In Middle Ear Surgery
DYPU has an educational approach that seeks to create a learning experience that will prepare students for the realities of the modern world.
About the Chief Mentor:
Dr. Ashutosh Ganesh Pusalkar
M.S (ENT), University Of Mumbai, 1970
F.A.A (ENT), University Of Tubingen (Germany), 1979
Dr A. G. Pusalkar has been a pioneer in Otolaryngology in India since three decades. He is a renowned Otology especially in the field of middle ear and stapes surgery. He has received the Honorary Membership from The German ENT Association, the only Honorary Member from India where in the 75 year old history of the German Association, there have been only 80 Honorary members.
He has been invited as faculty for surgical demonstrations and instructional courses in several countries like Turkey, Spain, France, Chile, China, Russia, Bratislava Slovakia, Oman, Dubai, Bangladesh and many others. He has conducted several Surgical Workshops in collaboration with University of Wurzburg, Bochum, and Tubingen, Germany at T.N. Medical College and AJB Municipal ENT Hospital.
He is credited with developing the first ever middle ear titanium implant in the world which was used in a patient. He has developed Ossicular Reconstruction Prostheses in collaboration with a German company. Today the most popular material used for middle ear reconstruction is titanium. He also has to his credit patented middle ear implants currently marketed only in Europe.
He constantly encourages his students to learn and improve and keep abreast with changes in latest scientific trends.
Fellowship in Middle Ear Surgery
D Y Patil University (accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ GRADE)
Middle Ear Reconstruction is the call of the hour as there is an increasing trend towards improving quality of life, with the improvement of hearing in addition to disease eradication.
- Unique fellowship program for training candidates in specialized Middle Ear Surgery
- Candidates to be trained in identifying and surgically treating middle ear conditions.
- Outpatient and OT to be conducted at Dr. D. Y. Patil Hospital and limited invitations to attend OT’s conducted by chief mentor
- Syllabus includes Basic Sciences, Middle ear surgeries, Middle ear biomechanics and Ossicular Reconstruction
- Special emphasis on Ossicular reconstructive procedures especially with passive middle ear implants including stapes surgery.
- Temporal bone dissections:
The first phase of the program involves the candidates’ training with temporal bone dissections. The department has an in house fully equipped temporal bone lab with operating microscope.
- Oto-Radiology Meetings:
To understand and accurately study middle ear radiology.
- Hands on training and over-the-shoulder supervision by Chief mentor while the candidate performs individual surgeries especially ossicular reconstructions.
- Access to vast database of surgical videos of surgeries performed by the Chief mentor himself.
- Opportunity to conduct at least one original research study during the course duration.
- Oral/Poster presentation as part of course syllabus at a local/regional/ national/international meeting.
- Opportunity for gaining international experience to visit laboratories in Germany to understand middle ear implant biomechanics as well as to promote ideas towards designing newer patented implants.
Equivalent degree for candidates from countries other than India. (Provisional/Temporary Registration from MCI compulsory for foreign nationals)
DORL (with at least 1 year of post diploma work experience)
Duration of Course
LIST OF DOCUMENTS
- Birth Certificate as proof of date and birth
- Copy of Passport/Domicile as proof of Nationality and Address
- Four passport size photographs
- Copy of the MCI Registration Certificate
- Copy of Mark sheets and Degree Certificate of MBBS/MS/ Others
- Copy of Passport of Parents*
- Proof of NRI Status of candidate/Parents*
- Copy of Visa*
(*if required for NRI Candidates)
Theory examination – one theory paper 100 marks at the end of course
Practical examination – 100 marks at the end of course
Candidates will also be assessed on
Examiners – two mentors (one external examiner for local region)